This week was my first back at work after a month long furlough. It's definitely impacted the time I have spent drawing a lot more than I liked.
It saddens me because I seem to lose motivation, and I really want to succeed with this. I don't know whether it's a product of work, or maybe other stressors that affect me in other ways (I'm diagnosed with Asperger's, so it could be the changes in routine or that i'm just a bit overwhelmed).
I really want to make some meaningful progress and actually create some of my own artwork - I am dedicated, just not always motivated. Any tips for this?
This week I tackled drawing the skeletons and cylinders over references again. It took me a lot longer than I wanted to complete the tasks this week. I managed to remember to keep the references in this time - though i'm unsure how easy-to-see everything is.
It's going to take some time for me to become confident using my Huion tablet as it's not a display tablet, my coordination isn't there quite yet (but that will improve the more I use it). One of the issues I've found with doing this task is that I struggle identifying the correct orientation of the cylinder. I may be overly critical, but it seems that some of the cylinders aren't the best fit - though it's difficult to identify the 'best fit' while i'm doing it.
On my iPad, again I found the same cylinder issue - but I feel like I have a little more control. I'm still not a fan of pen pressure, but i'm going to keep practising with it on.
I found some different references to keep my attention, and I like how they turned out. The cylinders are helping me orient things a little better.
I want to start attempting this task next to my references instead of on-top. My only hiccup is the width of the cylinders - I have this suspicion that i'm not going to be able to correctly gauge the width & orientation of the cylinders without being over the image. I do tend to find problems with limb girth when attempting to use reference. I'm not sure how to train this skill.
I also attempted the proportions task.
My lines are not all that confident, I noted all the scratchy lines while I was doing the exercise - i'm trying to work on it. I don't know whether work space has any impact on this, my desk is possibly a bit to high up. Turning my canvas definitely helps with the lines though and I find myself doing that more often than not.
I definitely struggled splitting the boxes and making circular shapes to fill the relevant areas. I like the proportions of the end results, they look human - which is all I can ask for
The female doesn't look all too female - but I think it's because i'm more used to seeing the exaggerated proportions, and indicating breasts (or any curves for that matter) is something I just can't seem to get down
if there are also any other points of improvement, I'd be happy to know them, as always.