Thanks bud it was a lot of fun to make! I havent enjoyed making something this much in a long time:-)
Well in fact it was a mix. I used zremesher for most of the model but had to modify or repair about half in blender for it to function. All in all zremesher is awesome but not perfect. Most times its perfect especially when used in conjunction with projection.
With the uvs that was a different experience. With the organics that was pretty simple I did it first in uv master first but wasnt satisfied with the results, not so much for seems but for texel density of my uv maps. I then unwrapped them manually which had much better results. And I used the standard best practice of hiding all my seems within dark creases or areas of little view. The hands were done in glove technique with the seems hidden on the inside. My quads are fairly even so the maps dont have any real distortion but I also used triplanar projection within substance painter to illiminate the seems, if any could even be noticed from the original unwrap. All the armor was done in uv master within zbrush with decent results for anyhting that did not have" handles" loops or rings. So you can imagine all my chains and armor with holes for the nails to fit did not work in uv master. Actually crashed the pc trying to unwrap 2200 loops!
So I went in manually and seemed up each by hand!! Took me about an hour of hitting the same key sequence over and over again.
In the end to answer your question I did about 80% by hand and zbrush did the rest. This was my first time doing all this and the learning curve was very large but I suspect that the methods were all decent in light of the model not being created in semytry which had a lot to do with doing so much by hand but gives the model a vey distinctive and natural look. The model was textured out of semytry so I painted each hand arm foot leg and each head individually. Which took twice as long but gives each part there own unique look.
Hope this helps.