Thanks so much!
I actually imagined some of them floating so it's alright with me. I wanted to focus on the material and I probably would've burned out trying to add shadows since each one took about an hour, some more or less. I do agree shadows would've helped the presentation though!
For the cloth, I painted the base color/value first, then added shadow with the second darkest color using a hard brush. After that I switched to a soft brush and added the first layer for the highlights. From there I decreased the brush size and went higher in value with each pass. I made sure to focus on areas that the light directly hits. Then I went back to the shadows. Instead of going lighter, I just went a few values darker and painted in areas where it would be hard for the light to reach.
For the cylinder I color picked from the palette I made during the study, then stuck to similar values for the black and white one. The main rule I tried to follow was "keep it simple" since there isn't that much going on with cotton fabric.
I hope that huge wall of text was helpful and readable! I had to go back and proofread it